One of my favourite childhood chocolate bars converted into a healthier version. If you like the combination of peanuts and chocolate, try it out!
Possibly the best thing I have ever made are these healthy snickers bars with layers of chocolate + caramel + nougat base.
They might be healthy but they aren’t missing any flavour!
Seriously, these cuties are so delicious, super easy to make, and made with good for you ingredients.
While there’s nothing wrong with enjoying a regular Snickers bar, I think it’s really fun to recreate our favourite treats in the kitchen with a healthier approach.
- 3/4 cup cashew butter
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 4-6 tablespoons almond flour
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups maple syrup
- 3/4 cup full fat coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- 1 cup roasted peanuts
- 300 grams dark chocolate
- Prepare a 20×20 cm pan
- To make the “nougat” layer. In a bowl, melt together the cashew butter, 1/4 cup coconut oil, and 1/4 cup honey in the microwave until combined, about 30 second to 1 minute. Stir in 1 tsp vanilla, 4 tablespoons almond flour, and salt until combined. The mix should be creamy, but if it feels too runny, add 1 tbsp flour. Spread the mix into the prepared pan. Sprinkle 2/3 cup peanuts on top. Freeze until firm, about 20 minutes.
- In a medium pot, mix 1 cup maple syrup and 1/2 cup coconut cream and bring to a boil. Boil 7-12 minutes or until it becomes thick like a caramel sauce. Remove from the heat and add in the peanut butter and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Let the mix cool down, then pour over the “nougat” layer. The caramel should begin to stiffen. Freeze while you make the second caramel layer.
- Using the same pot, combine 1/2 cup maple and 1/4 cup coconut cream. Bring to a boil over high heat. Boil 7-12 minutes until it becomes thick like a caramel sauce. Remove from the heat and stir in 1 tsp vanilla. Pour the sauce over the first caramel layer, then sprinkle 1/3 cup peanuts over the caramel. Freeze 1-2 hours, until the caramel is firm.
- Cut into bars. Freeze 15 minutes.
- Melt the chocolate and coconut oil in the microwave until melted and smooth. Let cool 5 minutes. Cover/dip each bar in chocolate, return to the freezer to let the chocolate set up, about 10 minutes. Keep them stored in the fridge for up to 2 weeks